Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Big Transition

Nothing is harder than sorting out what to wear during those in-between months. Y'know when you can feel the next season coming, and with it a whole slew of fashion trends, but it's not quite here yet? These are the months in which I manically search my wardrobe for something that both looks relatively normal, if not stylish, and manages to carry me through the ever-changing temperatures/precipitations of the day. For the most part, I rely on a carefully thought out layering system to get me through, but on the days when I find the motivation to really dress to impress, here's some of my go-to winter-spring transitional tips.
I'm a huge fan of stripes and florals both as an outfit combination and as transitional pieces in general (each in all shapes, sizes, and colors as well). It's important to keep in mind when mixing patterns, however, that the size of each needs to balance the other, like how the slimmer stripes on this Alice & Olivia tee blend seamlessly with the big, bold florals of the J.Crew skirt. Another awesome way to find the middle ground between overly spring-y florals and all-black winter darks, is to blend the two with a floral print on the cooler side of the color spectrum. I love a dark floral year round, but it works especially well as a transition piece through the months of March, April, and May. As far as shoes go, it's probably best to play it by ear, swapping booties for flats for heels depending on the weather, but who could resist these Zara pumps with this outfit? Not me, clearly. Throw on some geometric Madewell jewels and top it all off with the god of all transition seasons, a classic Gap denim jacket. Warm, durable, and easily removable, this jacket will get you through the morning rain and look just as cool tied around your waist (ooh so 90's) later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment